Saturday, June 23, 2018

gourd birdhouse: a rainy day project



I love to start my day by sitting on the porch enjoying my first cup of coffee.  It's the best time of day to enjoy the sounds of nature before the hustle and bustle of work, getting the kids off to school, or daily chores.  I love watching and listening to the birds, and there's nothing quite like watching baby birds venturing out of the nest for the first time.  I have several different birdhouses all around the property and always wanted to try a gourd birdhouse.  I happened upon a couple gourds at at yard sale and thought I'd share how I made my gourd birdhouse on a rainy day.



 I (or I should say my hubby) used a hole saw drill bit to make the opening for the birds new home.  I used a spoon to clean out the inside.


I used acrylic paint for the base color, then decided to add something a little extra.




Drill several holes for drainage, just in case water happens to get inside.




Drill a hole completely through the top of the gourd.




I made a hanger out of wire, but you could also use twine.




I used 3 coats of spray enamel for protection against the elements.




I saved the seeds to replant and give some to friends and family, there's plenty to share.  

Until next time...







 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Halloween witch: DIY style

It's that time of year where I'm busy making Halloween decorations for our Halloween party.  This year I decided to make a witch ...