Wednesday, June 6, 2018

I hatched my own chicks!

  When I was younger my mom used to hatch eggs in one the styrofoam incubators.  I thought it was just the most amazing thing to watch.  The anticipation of waiting the 21 days and finally being able to watch them break out of their shells.  It was something I've always wanted to try but was just so nervous about.  She had to manually turn the eggs daily and I knew that this wasn't the right fit for me.
  I found this little incubator with automatic egg turning on amazon. Its supposed to hold 12 eggs, but I could only fit 9.  So I began by collecting the eggs I wanted to incubate.  When you collect your eggs make sure you use clean eggs as you cannot wash them because it takes the protective layer off and they are susceptible to bacteria.  You'll need to store the eggs pointed side down until you have enough to put  in the incubator ( I used an old egg carton).  From everything I've read you can store your eggs from 4 to 6 days before you need to put them in the incubator.  Make sure you follow the directions for your incubator and do a lot of research.  The directions that came with this one were HORRIBLE!  but with all the information on the internet it was easy enough to figure it out.


   I put 9 eggs in the incubator but throughout the candling process found that only 6 were fertilized.  Out of the 6 fertilized eggs only 5 hatched.  Sadly one (seemed to be really weak) did not make it through the next day.

                                           
                                               Such adorable baby chicks!

                                                         Until next time...



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Halloween witch: DIY style

It's that time of year where I'm busy making Halloween decorations for our Halloween party.  This year I decided to make a witch ...