Monday, June 18, 2018

Setting up a brooder box

     A few posts ago I shared with you that I hatched my own chicks , today I thought I would take the time to show you a simple way to set up a brooder box.


     You'll need a storage tote, use one you already have or run out to Wal-mart or Dollar General and grab one.  



Fill the bottom of your storage tote with some fine wood flakes, I picked mine up at Rural King.  Use a clamp light with a 60 watt bulb.

You will need a thermostat, I picked mine up at Dollar General in their garden section.  When you first set up your brooder box the temperature needs to be between 95 and 100.  Decrease it 5 degrees per week, do this by adjusting your light up.  I've read that decreasing the temperature helps them feather out faster.

You will need some chick starter to feed your chicks.  Any feed store store should have this but I found this at Rural King.
I picked up my feeder and waterer at Rural King.  I had mason jars at home that fit perfectly, but if you don't have mason jars they also have the plastic tops you can purchase separately. As your chicks grow you'll need to cover the top with something(I used a window screen), so your more daring chicks wont escape.  I went in to feed and water one day and found one perched on the side of the tote!

 
These little ones are from my first hatch.  The one on the waterer is my little escape artist.


Today is day 21 of my second hatch, two hatched so far.  So if you're thinking of hatching your own chicks, good luck and happy hatching.
 Until next time...












No comments:

Post a Comment

Halloween witch: DIY style

It's that time of year where I'm busy making Halloween decorations for our Halloween party.  This year I decided to make a witch ...