Friday, May 25, 2018

How I made my own hummingbird feeder


    I usually have a couple hummingbird feeders filled and out by the first signs of spring.  I love sitting on my front porch or watching them out the window. I think they are the most wonderfully amazing little creatures.  I was on pinterest and seen a few ideas on how to make your own feeders and it kind of took off from there.






 Here's a few things you'll need to make your own with just some recycled items you have around the house.  A plastic bottle with a screw on lid, a container with a tightly fitting lid, I used a KFC container, but I seen some made with small storage containers, scissors, pen or marker, (not shown- hammer, nail, glue gun, and some wire.






 First you'll just need to take the lid off your bottle and center it onto the lid of your container.  Trace around the bottle top and use care cutting out the circle.






 Use a nail to punch holes in the lid of your bottle for the liquid to flow through.  Push your bottle through the opening of your container lid and screw the bottle cap on.








 Use your nail to punch  four holes in your container lid for your feeder holes.








Then push your nail through the opposite direction to make sure the holes are big enough.  I glued on yellow beads to mimic a flower in hopes the hummingbirds will be more attracted.












I glued around the top of the bottle to make it a little more sturdy.  Then just make a hanger around the top, fill it up, and your ready to feed your  beautiful little visitors.  I added some beading to mine to pretty it up a little bit.







 Here's a few more more ideas you might like to give a try, I found the feeder plugs on amazon.








I pilfered this bottle from my sons house and finally found a use for it.















I made this one from an extra chicken waterer I had, I'm not really sure if the hummers will feed out of it but it will make a tasty treat for the bees and butterflies.















I made this one for my mom for a mothers day gift.










  Check out my previous post for a quick, simple recipe on how to make your own hummingbird food.
Have a look around, if you like what you see, please subscribe or follow me!

                                                           Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Halloween witch: DIY style

It's that time of year where I'm busy making Halloween decorations for our Halloween party.  This year I decided to make a witch ...